In 1980, the Miami Valley Regional Planning Council and the Dayton Area Chamber of Commerce sponsored a conference called "Miami Valley Economy in the 80's: Challenges and Opportunities." In 1981, following the conference, eight issues were established as priorities for follow-up and action. A ninth issue, the product of a minority report and the Issue Nine Committee, called for a concentrated effort to integrate minorities into the economic base.
The Minority participants decided to develop a comprehensive leadership development program. The first Black Leadership Development Program class began in 1982. It was a tremendous success thus providing the impetus for its continuance. BLDP is facilitated by Parity, Inc.
- To develop an ongoing leadership pool for key roles in the community
- To share expertise and knowledge
- To sharpen leadership skills, educate and motivate
- To develop informational networks
- To serve the entire community